If you’re a fan of Visionary Creative Services, or one of its divisions (like Visionary Comics, or Visionary Books), then chances are you know who C. Edward Sellner is. He is the Co-Founder, Chief Creative Officer, and public face of the company, as well as the guy that does the most conventions under the company’s banner. If not, the most important thing to know is that he is a writer and artist in his own right.
He is also lucky enough to have put together an amazing team of people for his studio who have helped it grow tremendously. Part of the reason for the company’s expansion this year was to give it the base to start pushing into its next chapter, according to Sellner “Launching own projects, our own stories, our own worlds, and doing so in new and exciting ways.” To that end, this Patreon will be breaking ground on this new venture, and he hopes that others will join him for it.
Now you may ask “What will I receive for my patronage?” Well, glad you asked, because, just for openers, here’s the answer…
- My Comic Life — The Comic Strip relaunches the first week of August, with daily public postings on multiple sites through mid-month. These will help promote the Patreon. Patrons will then get an early preview of the new weekly strips before their public debut every Sunday, and a chance to appear in future ones.
- EXCLUSIVE: My Comic Life Column — Sellner has produced a number of columns on creating comics in the past, all of which are geared toward helping creators learn every aspect of the business. He’ll also be debuting a new weekly column every Thursday exclusively on Patreon, all about creating comics and building a career as a creative freelancer, sharing real resources, tips, and pointers. As the site grows, he’ll add live-streaming events, online chats, and other more interactive resources as well.
- EXCLUSIVE Previews — teasers and previews of upcoming Visionary projects, comics, books, and more, not available anywhere else! (shhh, don’t tell anyone…)
- Original Prose and Comics — He is going to be producing regular releases of new short stories and longer chapter stories, both in prose and comics, with an early debut for Patrons only. As he goes, higher levels will get the finished and polished editions in digital and print as projects are released into the market.
- BONUS: FREE Comics — when able, he’ll release free digital comics directly to Patrons as a thank you for support! (Pledge right now, get the first one right away!)
- BONUS: FREE Art Prints — featuring original and fan art by himself, including hi-res files for download so you can print your own!
But you’ll not only be getting a bunch of cool stuff to enjoy yourself, you’ll also be helping others. The Patreon will help him fund more outreach from Visionary and himself. He launched his Be Visionary Initiative in order to give back to the fan community and the industry. He wants to expand on that initiative and he needs your help!
How you ask? Here’s where he’ll start…
- My Comic Life Panels — hosted at a growing list of conventions to help aspiring creators by offering real, solid, and practical advice. He’s already lined up a half-dozen shows over the next few months just to warm up!
- Be Your Own Super-Hero — workshops teaching kids to claim their own talents and skills to make a difference, teaching them about what really makes a hero or heroine, and all about teamwork!
- Comic Shop / Convention / Online Portfolio Reviews — helping directly teach new talent to improve their work with regular portfolio reviews at various locations and online.
- Sponsoring Care Packs — free books, prints, and other care packages to good causes and outreach organizations.
- Pro-bono Consulting Work for Non-Profits — providing art, graphic design, and other services for good causes.
Patrons will get updates keeping them informed of the team’s efforts on all these fronts, and they will know they’re helping make it all possible.
Backers also be in on the ground floor of what Sellner believes will grow into something pretty amazing. Imagine, a shared Omniverse of awesome characters and inspiring stories, one intentionally designed to bring the kind of excitement some of the best shared universes bring — all with works owned and controlled by their actual creators, and all part of a larger whole! That’s the long goal, and this is the seed. He’ll be launching a much bigger piece of this on September 1st, between now and then, He’ll send updates regularly about some of his awesomely cool plans, with some awesomely cool creators!
We’re just getting started, so stop imagining and help us build it!
Visionary Ideas… Visionary Stories… Visionary Creators!
Become patron of C. Edward Sellner
If you are unfamiliar with Patreon and want to learn how works, check out the video!